Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Exploration Six

Part One:
The writer, Gelareh Asayseh, feels so conflicted is because she is realizing the differences between the hijab or Islamic covering that her culture demands to be worn and the country she lives in now, which doesn't demand the wearing of any certain clothing or covering. She finally realizes the fact that they have such different rights here and there. She sees that things are different everywhere she goes. When she goes to visit Tehra, she has to wear the coverings and she doesn’t like it because she feels it is unfair and this angers her. She loves her culture and at the same time she hates it. She has a love/hate relationship with her culture. From my own experiences I can relate to the fact that I love and hate college. Sometimes I want to give up because it’s hard and overwhelming, but I know I have to continue because I need to do something with my life. School is very stressful and sometimes I feel like it’s not worth it.

Part Two:
My favorite passage was the one about Aung San Suu Kyi by her son. The fact that he took the time to praise and share his mother’s stories is amazing. She was a democracy activist. She wanted to end dictatorship. She discourages tourists from visiting Burma and businessmen from investing in the country until it is free. She was put on house arrest because she was in favor of democracy. The United Nations called for her release, as did a number of other national and international groups, including Amnesty International, the worldwide human rights organization. She won many awards for democracy and human rights, including the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought, the Nobel Peace Prize, and the International Simon BolĂ­var Prize. I think she is an amazing person and I’m glad she stands for what she does.


http://www.notablebiographies.com/An-Ba/Aung-San-Suu-Kyi.html

No comments:

Post a Comment