Monday, February 27, 2012

Screw it - I'm late

"On occasion, I even think, Screw it-I'm late, I have to get a move on, and what difference does it really make what I do this one time?" This quote from Atul Gawande in his article On Washing Hands, really struck home to me. There are many times through out my day when I am busy trying to do several things at once, that I say "Screw-it", and something always suffers because of my apathy. I really have to watch this downfall at work at the correctional facility I work at. If I say "screw-it" and hurry through the motions of security, someone could get seriously hurt including myself. I have recently been forced to change my habits I have had for 15 years. I worked at North Central Corrections but was forced to move to Marion Corrections due to the sale of the facility. I lost all of my seniority and I went from working day shift with weekends off, to working third shift with Tuesday/Wednesday off. It has been very difficult for my body and mind to adjust to the new hours and to adjust my family schedule to my new life. Things are getting easier over the last 2 months and the hardest part of the adjustment has been sleeping during the daylight. I will continue to adjust or I may just go crazy, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment