Monday, January 23, 2012

Antiwar/ Protest music of the 60's


Music in the 60s became the foundation of expressing the emotions and anger towards the war. The music was a way to pronounce political messages through lyrics. The 1960s became known as the decade of protest, due to the Vietnam war and the civil rights movement. In August 1968, Phil Ochs performed the song "I Ain't Marching Anymore" at a Democratic National Convention, which pursuaded many men to burn their draft cards. This song focuses on the brutality and endless nature of war, and the history of the United States' engagement in war.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pgrKSwFJE

1 comment:

  1. Did you know Phil Ochs went to OSU and was the editor of the Lantern for a while? I think he got in trouble for his anti-war politics. He wrote a lot of songs that are hauntingly lovely and beautiful. I'll bring one in or maybe I'll play one on guitar. I used to know a bunch of them!

    ReplyDelete